Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Spring Rhubarb


One of the first things I did when I moved in to my new house was plant rhubarb. Every house I have ever lived in had rhubarb growing in the backyard. I don't know if it's a Canadian thing but rhubarb is always a sign to me that spring is here and summer is on its way. The first harvest of delicate ruby stalks immediately end up in a pie or cake that is devoured by the day's end. Here's a recipe I used today to make a delicious coffee cake that stays moist for days (if it lasts that long!).
Rhubarb coffee cake

160g butter
350g brown sugar
2 eggs
500g / 1 pound rhubarb, sliced into 2cm pieces
finely grated rind of 1 orange
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
300g flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
250ml or 1 cup sour cream
brown sugar and cinnamon for top

Preheat oven to 350F. Cream butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, beating well after each addition. Stir vanilla then the sifted flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Gently fold in sour cream. Pour half the batter into a greased and lined 9 or 10 inch round cake tin and then top with rhubarb and orange rind. Cover with remaining batter. Sprinkle mixed brown sugar and cinnamon over the top. Bake for 40 minutes until cake is puffy and golden. Let cool 15 minutes before unmolding. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Alisa@Foodista said...

Hi Susan, I followed you from the foodieblogroll and I'm so happy you won the scholarship!Rhubarbs also signal spring for me.Hope you wont mind,I'd love to guide our readers to your site, just add this foodista widget to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!