Thursday, March 26, 2009

Quickie Shortbread

Today I wanted to make some cookies because there were none in the house. I wanted a quick cookie but I didn't want to have to go to the store and buy ingredients because I was short on time and patience. I was looking in my cupboard to see what I could come up with ingredient-wise and happened to see a recipe on the back of the cornstarch box for shortbread. Not too many ingredients and everything was on hand so I decided to make them. They turned out so tender and buttery I was amazed that I had never made them before. Here's the recipe - remember to use a delicate hand when mixing these together so they don't get tough. It also helps to chill the dough for about half an hour if you want to roll them out.

1/2 cup Corn starch
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened

Sift together dry ingredients. Blend in butter (I used the paddle attachment on my mixer) until a soft, smooth dough forms. Shape into 1 inch balls or chill dough for about half an hour and roll out and cut into shapes. Bake in 300F oven for 15 20 minutes until edges are lightly brown. Cool on rack Makes about 24 cookies.

2 comments:

Home At Last said...

do you think these might work for egg cookies. I had planned to make shortbread cookies for Easter and stumbled upon your lovely blog!

I look forward to reading more of your blog!

http://www.homeatlast.net
http://homeatlastwithpatty.blogspot.com

Chef Sue said...

Yes, they would work for that! Just make sure your dough is well chilled before you roll it out.